Defying Jihad - a review


Defying Jihad was one of those books I could hardly put down. It was a quick read, but every page carried the weight of the trauma and suffering the author endured growing up under radical Islam and Sharia law in Pakistan. While heartbreaking, it was also one of the most hope-filled testimonies I have read.

What struck me most was how quickly her family became radicalized and how sincerely they believed that committing jihad in the name of Allah was honorable and pleasing to God. It was a sobering reminder of the power of ideology and how deeply beliefs shape the way people live. 

As I read, I couldn’t help but notice what I believe was the hand of God working behind the scenes. Through dreams, unexpected encounters, and perfectly timed circumstances, God continually placed the right people in her path at exactly the right moment. Time after time, His providence was evident.

Her journey from radical Islam to becoming a devoted follower of Jesus Christ is far more than an inspiring story. It is a powerful testimony to the transforming work of the Holy Spirit. What challenged me most was her courage. Even knowing the danger she faced, she never stopped sharing Christ with those around her, including members of her own family. Her faith was marked by obedience rather than fear, and God faithfully sustained and protected her through incredible trials.

One of the greatest takeaways for me was reinforcing my belief that Christianity and Islam are not simply two different paths to the same God. After reading Defying Jihad and studying both the Bible and the Quran for myself, I came away convinced that the core teachings of Jesus Christ and the teachings attributed to Muhammad present fundamentally different views of God, salvation, forgiveness, and how we are to treat our enemies. Jesus calls His followers to love their enemies, pray for those who persecute them, forgive as they have been forgiven, and find salvation by grace through faith. Those biblical teachings are not compatible with the worldview the author describes growing up under or with the message she believed before coming to Christ. Her testimony powerfully illustrates why that distinction mattered in her own life.

This book also convicted me as a Christian. It reminded me of the importance of knowing not only what I believe, but why I believe it. We should be prepared to graciously and confidently defend the hope we have in Christ while sharing the gospel with truth and love.

I also came away with a deeper understanding of extremist interpretations of Islam and the suffering many people endure under them. The book reinforced for me the importance of protecting religious liberty and carefully considering the implications of any ideology or legal system that limits freedom of conscience or equal rights under the law.

Whether or not you agree with every conclusion the author draws, her story deserves to be heard. Defying Jihad is ultimately a testimony that no one is beyond the reach of God’s grace. It is a powerful reminder that the gospel is stronger than fear, stronger than hatred, and stronger than even the deepest forms of religious extremism.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

This Present Darkness - a review

Leadership and the Sin of Empathy - A Review

The Price of Love - A Review